What is TPM?
Generally, TPM is referred to as total productive maintenance but Toyota increasingly replace "productive" with professional. The aim is to have zero breakdowns with the use of systematic maintenance techniques. he maintenance team progressively strive to guarantee that equipment will be available for 100% of the required time.
The six basic principles upon which TPM is founded are -
1. Minor defects must be eliminated from all equipment
2. Correct planned maintenance can prevent nearly all unexpected machine failures
3. The use of cross functional teams will resolve problems far more effectively than a single department approach
4. Continuous improvement is by continuously learning and changing
5. Machines with preventive maintenance programmes produce far more products (on time and to cost) than machines that "just break down"
6. Machines with planned maintenance programmes enable key resources to be freed up to concentrate on the continuous improvement activities