Healthcare, in the context of lean processes, has the same features and characteristics of any organisation.
The process of combining people, infrastructure and processes in an effective manner that produces a value outcome for the patient is just the same as for any organisation.
In each instance it is the effectiveness of management in bringing together their resources to convert the inputs in their value creation process to outputs that their patients value in the most efficient and timely manner that makes lean healthcare a reality.
A lean philosophy provides management with the framework and tools to achieve optimisation of value by increasing productivity, increasing quality, reducing operational costs and improving clinical and financial outcomes.
The main steps to becoming lean in healthcare are:
- an aligned vision, strategy and action plan
- clear and measurable time bounded targets
- defined internal value streams
- a relentless focus on eliminating waste and making information and clinical/diagnostic processes flow
- embedding a culture of continuous improvement by empowering staff
- extending the definition of value outside the physical location of the healthcare provider
- striving for perfection in all processes and systems
It is the balance of adding value and removing non-value adding waste that provides a lean healthcare facility with the capability to grow and increase its performance and in this context kaizen can be a very powerful tool to assist you.
Kaizenworld assists you in introducing and embedding a lean culture into your organisation by providing training and on-site support.
You will find a number of resources to assist you in your understanding of lean - please feel free to browse our content and let us know if you require anything further.
tel: +44 7307 193 258