Muda used to be known as the 7 wastes but in modern times, 2 new wastes have been added:
- Waste of overproduction (more than what the customer wanted)
- Waste of rework (why make it wrong in the first place?)
- Waste of waiting (the units should flow from one process to the next and ultimately, to the customer without any waiting)
- Waste of inventory (make it to order and invoice it - inventory has no real value - a sale does!)
- Waste of transport (reduce floor place, shrink the factory, reduce lead times)
- Waste of motion (unnecessary movements - human)
- Waste from the process
- Waste of a human being (an example is a machine watcher)
- Waste of natural resources (save the planet)
Irrespective of the type of organisation, muda is with you. With the correct assistance it can be identified and removed as part of a lean initiative.
You will find a number of resources to assist you in your understanding of lean - please feel free to browse our content and let us know if you require anything further.
tel: +44 7307 193 258